Friday, October 06, 2006

The Star Trek Auction
...Beam Me Up Some Cash, Scotty!



Images courtesy of www.christies.com


Sale Title: 40 Years of Star Trek: The Collection
Location: New York, Rockefeller Plaza
Sale Date: Oct 05, 2006 - Oct 07, 2006
Lot Number: 493
Sale Number: 1778
Lot Title: DEEP SPACE NINE MODEL
Estimate: 8,000 - 12,000 U.S. dollars
Lot Description: A principal visual effects model of space station Deep Space Nine, the highly-detailed fiber-reinforced cast resin construction on a steel armature with internal fiber optic illumination [untested], with ceiling mount bracket -- 72in. diameter -- featured in every episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Lot Notes: The "hero" Deep Space Nine station model was designed by Rick Sternbach under the supervision of Herman Zimmerman. The design reflects a strongly alien architectural style, while maintaing a simple, yet distinctive overall form. This model was built by master model-maker Tony Meininger and was seen in every episode of the series.



To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Star Trek, CBS and Paramount have emptied out their warehouses of anything and everything that ever had anything to do with Star Trek. Being a loyal Trekkie, I registered with Christies.com, which required producing all sorts of information including my bank account number and a contact at said bank (no kidding!) I actually did put down a few bids on some small items, and I was blown away in the first 3 seconds of bidding.
I guess it's a good thing overall. Those of us nerdy little guys (and girls) who grew up with Star Trek have apparently become rather successful in our adult lives. Picard's Captain's chair from the Enterprise E went for $68,000, and the six-foot long model of Deep Space 9 went for an incredible $110,000! As of this writing, they haven't even gotten around to selling the model Enterprise itself...I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $250,000 or even $300,000.

I won't editorialize about the wisdom of spending these amounts of money on dusty old movie and TV props. I certainly can't do it (even if I had that kind of cash laying around, Mrs. Dalai would have my hide if I thought of spending it in that manner), but I guess I envy those who can. Perhaps the bidding frenzy represents a desire to be a part of something bigger and better than what we have now, and what could fit that definition better than a piece of the Star Trek universe? Of course, if I had hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend of this sort of thing, my universe would be a lot better, too!

I guess the only thing left to say is: Live Long and Prosper! (CBS certainly will!)



ADDENDUM:

Here are some of the final results:

Partially destroyed Enterprise from Star Trek III: $40,000

Enterprise C: $40,000

Regula 1 Starbase from Star Trek II: $42,000

Space Dock from various movies: $65,000

Enterprise E: $110,000

Enterprise B/Lakota: $132,000

McCoy's Space Suit from "The Tholian Web": $144,000

Enterprise A: $284,000

Klingon Bird of Prey from Star Trek III: $307,000

Enterprise D: $576,000


Image courtesy of www.christies.com

Total take for CBS/Paramount: $7,107,040, including commission, far more than double what had been expected.

What else can I say? I canna' take it anymore, Capn'!

No comments :